Monday, June 6, 2011

I Think I'm Getting Old - #42 Crystal Castles – Crystal Castles (II)

There is a term that has started popping up more and more in conversation recently, mainly on Twitter I think, and I love it.

Batshit mental.

A phrase used only to describe the truly crazy. And, by something of a coincidence, exactly the term that I would use for this album.



Now I get the feeling that saying bad things about this album might not make me the most popular person in town, but I would be lying if I said I was a huge fan of it. It's good when it's good, but at times, well, it's batshit mental.

I imagine that it is perfect workout music. It rattles along at a fair old pace and has a booming bassline that would be cracking to run along to. I might test this theory next time I'm out on the push iron. I'll get back to you on that one.

It's definitely one that has tracks on it that would send a rave mad. There are some tracks on here that are just designed for off your head dancing, but at times, it's just a shit load of noise, and very little else. Maybe, as I've alluded to in the title, I'm just getting a bit old for all this. You kids and your boom boom boom. I remember when music had a tune etc etc.

The other thing that I don't understand is how this is going to work live. I've seen the occasional thing about the band's shows, and it seems that they are as off the wall as the music is. I'm pretty sure that on more than one occasion I've read stories about Alice Glass fighting with members of the crowd. A cynic would say that any publicity is good publicity, but I'm not a cynic. Maybe she actually just does have a screw loose.

It's tricky really to try and mention what her voice is like... A lot of this album seems to have been put through a laptop, a lot. Do the stage shows have her going barmy, and a guy with a laptop playing the 'music'? I don't know, maybe they have keyboards, synths and the such. I have no idea. Which is intriguing. But a headline slot for the band means that I'm not likely to find out either.

Celestica is the first real 'tune' on the album, and I could imagine this is the one that DJs up and down the land have been 'dropping' in clubs. But the track that immediately follows it, Doe Deer is just a few minutes of angry sounding noise. Maybe I just don't 'get it'.

Actually, as I type Baptism has just come on. Again, it's all shouty vocals, but the tune is actually a corker. If someone like Fatboy Slim had come up with this, and got a celebrity video to go with it, it would be huge.

Right, I'm going to stop here I think. I'd suggest checking this out, just to see how mad it really is. I'd like to see the band at the festival, just to see what they are like live, but think there are other bands on at the same time that I'd prefer to see...

Sorry for the crap post. I'll be more informed on the next one, promise. It might be something I understand a little better, and not so batshit mental.

No comments:

Post a Comment