Tuesday, June 14, 2011

No Ten Out of Ten I'm Afraid... - #46 Paulo Nutini - Sunny Side Up

Right, here we go. Procrastination is no longer upon us. What is upon us is a hell of an effort to look at 15 albums by Monday.

First up... Scotland's very own Mr Nutini.


Now my main problem with this album is that Paulo seems to use up all of his fun-song making skills on track one. Now I've got no issues with getting things off to a 'flying start', which Ten Out of Ten certainly does, but it just seems that he gave us the wrong impression somewhat by starting things with such a fun, upbeat song.

And that's obviously not to take anything away from Ten Out of Ten. It's a great track. His vocals combine with the beat and the, in my opinion, criminally under used brass section to make a fantastic song to sing and dance along to. Have I got a video for you? Yeah, of course I have.

The thing is really about this album is that Paulo kind of lets himself down after that song. Almost all of the rest of the album is a disappointment after that track. Not quite all of it, but almost.

Pencil Full of Lead is another song that is absolutely jam-packed with fun and optimism. Our favourite Scot, well actually he's not mine, Frightened Rabbit are my favourite Scottish band, but here he just sounds happy about life in general. He has a pencil full of lead, and a whole host of other things that young men like.

After that though, I'm struggling to find many more tracks that I like. He might be a good looking young chap, and almost look as if Julian Casablanca's brother has escaped from a Strokes tribute band, but in my opinion, he has spoiled himself by popping these two fantastic tracks in.

Some of the other songs are that bad, but while music that isn't that bad is bearable, it doesn't make me want to miss some other fantastic act to take the time out to see Mr Nutini. If he wasn't billed so highly, I certainly would have considered it, but sorry Paulo, not this time. Maybe the next time I'm here, yes?

This wasn't very long was it? Sorry about that. Short, but not particuarly sweet.

Hopefully something a little more entertaining will be up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment