Monday, June 13, 2011

Sex, Drugs and on the Dole - #44 The Streets - Original Pirate Material

It's hard to think that it is a full nine years since Mike Skinner, aka The Streets, released his debut album. Many a song has come and go inbetween, he's flirted with chart success, become a megastar in his own right and guested on countless artist's work (and had a part in Doctor Who), but as a Streets fan from the start, I am firmly of the opinion that Mr Skinner was at the peak of his powers here, on Original Pirate Material.


I honestly couldn't stand Has It Come To This? the first few times that I heard it, and I remember it vividly, despite it being such a long time ago. Although, saying that, I remember not liking the song at all, but can't think why.

However, it didn't take long for my views to change on Mr Skinner and his unique style of, urm, well, rap? Garage? Urban dance? I honestly have no idea what genre it 'officially' falls under. It could even be performance poetry of a sort I suppose? Sod it, I don't know. Ask Mr Skinner.

So onto the album. It kicks off with Turn the Page, which is an absolute tune. I can't tell you why, but it really conjures up images of Gladiator for me. I might just be swayed by the line "I'm 45th generation Roman". I am quite easily influenced. I think it's the music in the background. It has an 'epic' feel to it, and builds and builds throughout the track.

And then we come to Has It Come to This? The song that I couldn't stand. For the record, that no longer applies. As I've got older, it seems that I have come to appreciate the lyrics more. Ok, so it might be about living life smoking weed and driving crappy souped up cars, but at the time, it seems that's what Skinner was into. It's pretty much a theme that runs throughout the entire album. Weed, paying for weed, selling people weed. It actually sounds a little cliched now, but rather than be a slur on Original Pirate Material, it is infact praise, as it indicates how many acts have been influenced by Mr Skinner. You have to remember how long this album has been around.

Track three is probably the most popular on here, Let's Push Things Forward. Can't remember how it goes? Check it out here. Again, it's all about being a shady youngster in London, but is catchy as hell and is blessed with a throughly confident swagger.

Not every track on here really shines though to be honest. Sharp Darts is a bit of a bore, and there is only so many tracks that you can actually make about the same thing. Being an agressive twat on a night out might seem like a good idea for a song, but by the third, it gets a bit dull. Same Old Thing and Geezers Need Excitement are a case in point. It seems to be Mr Skinner in an 'I'm such a wrong 'un' mood. Not a big fan.

Thankfully there are two more magnificent tracks on here to drag it back around. Don't Mug Yourself tells the story of Mike being told by his mates that he shouldn't go chasing after a girl he likes. Yes it's really laddish, but it's good fun throughout.

The second, and in my opinion by far the best track on here is The Irony of It All. It's basically two blokes talking one after the other. One is a heavy-drinking lout who loves fighting, but is essentially not a criminal. The other is a softly-spoken, weed-smoking graduate, wouldn't hurt a fly but is the one in the wrong in the eyes of the law. It's a really, really good listen, very clever and a lot of fun. I've even dug this one out for you too. Click here for it.

And that's me done for Original Pirate Material. It really was a pleasure to listen back to this album. It reminded me of how great the Streets were, before Dry Your Eyes became a song that reminded me of England mediocre football team on every listen.

There's a lot to love, and although it isn't hit after hit, it is more than worth buying/digging out.

Ok, with only a week and a bit to go until the festival, these are going to be coming thick and fast, so please check back for some more musical goodness tomorrow. Ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment