Friday, April 22, 2011

And So It Continues - #2 Bombay Bicycle Club - Flaws

So... After the hectic and franklly baffling offering from Crystal Fighters yesterday, comes an altogether calmer effort in the shape of Bombay Bicycle Club's second studio album, Flaws.

And... (prepare yourself for a cringeworthy pun), in my eyes, this album is full of, you've guessed it, flaws.

Now I do of course recognise that whatever I say means nothing to anyone of importance, however, it has just been nominated for an Ivor Novello award. Some of the biggest names in music have taken this trophy home with them in the past, and I honestly don't see what this album has done to be held in such high esteem.

I feel that I have missed out somewhat, as from my little bit of research I have learned that the band took a massive sidestep in their musical style to bring out this release, moving from guitar thrashing rock to acoustic folk, so perhaps fans of the band would appreciate this more, however, to me, it's a sound that alot of people have already done, and have done it better.

Flaws sounds to me like what Mumford & Sons could have come up with in their spare time, if they were a bit bored and couldn't really be arsed trying. I don't want to come down too hard on the band, but... Well, actually, I do. That's the whole point of this.

The album just floats by really. I found myself enjoying Ivy & Gold, but had to wait until track four to find something that even nudged my attention, and even then I think that was only my memory telling me that I'd heard this before. The rest just sauntered on by without me really noticing. On first listen, I tried to pay attention but was distracted by anything and everything that I passed by in town, my little grey cells were just desperate to be entertained. When I got home and decided to sit and listen intently to it, I woke up on the floor just as the last track was finishing.

I want to go into detail about the rest of the album, but I honestly don't know what to say. There is a lovely duet on there, but I can't offer much more... I just found nothing to interest me here.

So, again, onwards and upwards for the future... Two down, 58 to go.

Make sure you head on over and catch Ms Ball's thoughts about this one - it is, as ever, excellent...

http://tinyurl.com/3zbjcgr

P.S If anyone actually does read this, would you prefer to see the full list of 60 now, or keep them coming as a surprise on a daily basis?

No comments:

Post a Comment