Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My head's in a spin - #6 Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions

Before we started the Glasto' 60 Day Challenge, I thought I was a bit of a music buff, only a little bit, but still, I seemed to know more than most of my friends. It seems now that I have just been keeping the wrong company. How else could I have avoided Biffy Clyro for so long??

Like everyone else I'd heard bits, caught Bubbles when Radio1 played it 73 times a day, but never really gave them a chance after that. I realise now that was a huge mistake.

Right from the off, Only Revolutions grabs hold of you, and it's quite the little adventure from then in. Every song on here has something different to offer, and when the tracks are good, they are really, really good. I often thought that Biffy might be some kind of Scottish Kings of Leon tribute act, but there is none of that recent smuggery that has encompassed the KoL here, just good, old-fashioned rock.

Then again, doing a little research, I shouldn't be surprised that this album is so good. It was nominated for the Mercury Prize (although that's a hit-and-miss yardstick of quality), and went platinum soon after its release.

The band has the ability to skip from heavy rock to something altogether more tender with ease. The Captain is a fantastic opening track, combining huge guitars with Simon Neil's surprisingly soft Scottish-twanged vocals. Undoubtedly, if he wanted to rattle up a screamo song, he could, but also has the ability to sound... well... nice? The Miracle is a perfect example of it.

Elsewhere, Bubbles, the track that Radio1 tried to kill by playing so much still stands out as a highlight, while second track The Golden Rule combines elements of 90s rock such as Less Than Jack, with a little bit of Rage Against the Machine and finishes sounded like a Bond theme tune. And if a band is good enough to combine those three elements, then they're alright in my book.

Getting further into the album, it's almost impossible not to enjoy songs called Booooom, Blast & Ruin and Whorses.

This is also the kind of record (calling albums records automatically makes you cool) that you could listen to anywhere, at any time. Feeling a bit down? Sorted, bang this on and it'll perk you right up. Getting ready to go out? Sorted, bang this on, it'll have you singing along and dancing like a bellend before you go. Sat at work? Sorted... Well, you get the picture.

So... My thanks go out to the Glasto' 60 Day Challenge once more for throwing me up some quality new tunes, and ensuring that when Biffy hit the main stage at the festival, I’ll be bang in the middle of the crowd, singing along and dancing like afore mentioned bellend.

Oh, and the list? On it's way...

No comments:

Post a Comment