Monday, May 9, 2011

And we were singing... #19 Don McLean - American Pie

If you've ever been near a karaoke machine at the same time as me, you'll know that this is going to be positive from the very start.

One night, a long time ago in Howden, me and my friends invaded a pub and decided that having a go on the karaoke would be a laugh. If I'm totally honest, I don't think we were welcome, and it was possibly even a birthday party that we had gatecrashed. Fortunately for me, and everyone else in there, I was amazing *note to self - may not have actually been that great*, got the crowd on our side *note to self - pretty sure we got thrown out almost straight after* and I've been crooning like Mr McLean at every opportunity since *note to self - not sure I sound exactly like him to be fair*.

I've actually liked the title track from this album from a very, very young age. Despite my dad having a huge vinyl collection, and it containing some absolute classics, I seem to remember playing this 7" single a lot in my youth. It was the only vinyl that I ever really played actually, apart from my Mr Men album, *note to self - probably shouldn't let on about that part*.

But, then again, who can blame me? American Pie was, is, and always will be a classic song. For those unfortunate enough to not know, it sees Mr McLean singing about how and when he discovered that Buddy Holly had been tragically killed in a plane crash. It's eight and a half minutes of wonderful music, and I may be biased for all of the above reasons, and for my affection for Mr Holly too, but it is easily one of my favourite songs of all time.

Admittedly, the rest of the album isn't really my kind of thing, but again, that's not a slur on it at all. I can appreciate it for what it is. There are a lot of ballads in here, although Everybody Loves Me, Baby is an upbeat affair, complete with crowd noise, that really perks up an album that has become a little samey by the time it reaches track seven.

Honestly, my bet would be that at the festival, the veteran crooner won't be taking the risk of playing American Pie first, and seeing how many people stick around for the rest of his set. I will of course be there for the duration, hopping around like an excited five-year-old on Christmas morning, waiting to hear the song, that I have butchered on countless occasions, sweep over the Pyramid Stage, and create possibly the biggest sing-a-long that the festival will see this year.

Right, so that's us back on track. I shall do my best to not get behind again.

No comments:

Post a Comment