Thursday, May 26, 2011

Great, Honest Fun - #34 Cage the Elephant - Cage the Elephant

So, after Anna Calvi, where on earth do we go next? To Cage the Elephant land, that's where.


I first heard this album quite a few months ago after considering buying it for months, I heard one track and decided that I had to have it, thankfully, it's a decision that I more than stick by.

After yesterday's example of how to create a haunting sound find Anna Calvi here, this band are more of an exercise in having fun. If I had to compare them to someone, I'd say that they sound like the Arctic Monkeys, only when all they were interested in was making cracking singles, not pissing about in the desert with Josh Homme.

Album opener In One Ear might not be the most original of songs in its subject matter (the band not being interested in critics and their opinions), but at least they have the good sense to actual tell everyone that they know this. The vocals are some kind of semi-rap, and there is definitely a hint of Alex Turner in there, despite the band being from Kentucky.

Thankfully for those listening, that track is excellent, but it's also a sign of things to come. Straight after In One Ear comes James Brown, another excellent indie-rock song that rattles along at a fair old pace. A sing along that begs for a crowd sing-a-long makes this song catchy as any on here, and the guitar solo (yes, they do still exist outside of Muse) really adds a lot to the track.

Which brings us on to Ain't No Rest for the Wicked. The guitars give this one a bit of a county feel, but it has brilliant lyrics and I strongly recommend giving this one a listen. Singer Matt Shultz talks us through a number of scenarios where people are getting hold of cash in less than righteous ways, and it really is a good listen. Unsurprisingly, after a bit of research, it turns out that it's single that's done the best in the UK charts for the band.

I really don't want to go through and talk about every song on here, and I would do, as the next one, Tiny Little Robots, is a cracker too, but I'll refrain. All I will say is that there are AT LEAST another four or five cracking tunes on here, meaning that's about eight out of 11. As Sum41 once (falsely) called an album, it's "All Filler, No Killer".

I'm looking forward to payday ticking by, so I can get the band's second album, if it's anywhere near as good as this, I'll be delighted.

And with that I'll leave you be. Cage the Elephant are a must at the festival, and probably one of the bands that I'm looking forward to seeing the most. If you're lucky enough to be coming too, I suggest you do the same. If you aren't coming, make sure you check out this album, as unfortunately, I can't see the BBC's coverage taking in much of this set.

And just as an after note, if you like this, feel free to have a look at a few of the blogs down the right hand side. There are all the ones for May, and April if you click the dropdown arrow. We covered some good stuff at the beginning, wouldn't want you to miss out.

Next up? Battles. *Sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment