Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Nice Way to Spend the Day - #23 Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim

Laura Marling was always one of those artists that I didn't want to like, before I even gave her a chance.

I think it was the media lovefest that met her second album that did it for me, so thankfully, this is her debut offering, and even if I didn't want to like it, I most certainly do.

I'm not sure at what point in my life I started to share music taste with my mum. It must have only been within the last six months, but I imagine that she would like this a lot, and I do.

I can see why people wouldn't like it, it's all a bit ballady, but in the right circumstances, it's just right. Her voice is that of someone much older (Marling is only 21 now, and this album came out in 2008), and her lyrics guide you on a journey throughout.

Opening tracks Ghosts is probably the most upbeat song on here, which in itself is something of a shame, as it's probably also the stand-out track.

The thing is, it's difficult not to like Marling if you read up about her. There is one cracking story about her performing on the pavement outside of her own gig after being denied entry for being underage. In an age of epic divas and megastars, it's great to see someone so young, and so popular, being so down to earth.

Although this album was nominated for the Mercury Prize, I'm not sure that the hype is fully justified, as it was hailed as a masterpiece, whereas I think it's more something to nicely pass the time. It causes no offence, but nor does it have me singing along. It's the perfect accompaniment to a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Perhaps the gods of fate will be kind to me, and she will be performing on the Sunday, when huge crowds nurse three-day accumulative hangovers and don't want anything too strenuous to be going on. Last year, Jack Johnson filled this slot, and Laura Marling would be the perfect act to fill that particular void.

Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment