Monday, May 9, 2011

Understated, but Not to be Underestimated - #17 Eels - Beautiful Freak

Hello avid readers of mine... Did you enjoy Steven's Joshua Tree?

Maybe I'll commision a couple more of these before time is up. If I get some voulenteers, and they have to prove that they are HUGE fans of the album in question, then I may do that. Then again, as Rachel so happily pointed out, perhaps it's cheating and not really in the nature of the Challenge, so maybe I won't.

So, apologies for the delay in getting this to you. I've been back in Blighty for the weekend to attend a good friend's wedding. Needless to say, the whole situation was a little messy, so that's why we've fallen behind in the Challenge, but I'm here to put that right now.

And put it right we certainly will with this offering.

Eels. Can't say that before this I'd listened to them in about 10 years, but I was more than aware of Novacaine for the Soul, the opening track on this album. I don't know what it is about this song, but I think it is magnificent. It's a little creepy, it sounds old and new at the same time, and the lyrics are, to be honest, great. 'Life is white, and I am black. Jesus and his lawyer, are coming back'. I mean, come on, what is there not to like? The singer's gravely voice sounds like he's spent too many years in clubs and pubs filled with smoke, which he may well have done by the time that this album came out.

Elsewhere on the album, the title track, My Beloved Monster and Mental are probably the other highlights for me, and while this record doesn't scream and shout at you, it's certainly a very enjoyable way to pass the time.

Will I go see them at the festival? This one's going to come down to what happens when the clashfinder is released. I really wouldn't mind going along, if only for Novacaine for the Soul to be fair, but they may have to be passed upon if there is something else happening that takes my fancy.

So Eels, not the most exciting album we've looked at, but certainly not the worst either.

Next up, Hurts. Balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment