Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Feel Good Hit for the Summer? - #22 Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R

Ok, hands up who noticed that the challenge had stalled a little recently? Anyone? Good.

Well it's back, and this time, I mean business. No skipped days, no excuses, just another 30-something days of top music before it's time to get on a plane, fly over the Channel and visit the greatest music festival on the planet.

The catch-up begins here, and will continue throughout the day, so I apologise for taking up so much of your time, but stick with it yeah? You might even find something you like at some point!

Right, back to the album in question, and it's one of my favourite live bands, Queens of the Stone Age. Do I jump straight into talking about the music, or take you on a trip down memory lane? I have a couple of good stories about QOTSA, both of which, unsurprisingly, involve my good friend Steve.

Actually, Steve has had a huge influence on my music tastes. When we met, I was only really interested in listening to rave music, but he forced a bit of taste into me, which has served me well in the years since. I would thank him for that, but his music-based ego is so large I doubt he would fit in his house if it was to grow any bigger.

So, first time I went to see Queens was in Manchester. Steve and his mates had gone down early, with me and my other former uni housemate Sean to follow. We were of course, merely stupid 18-year-olds. And what do said young men do when arriving in a room of people that have been drinking for a few hours? They play catch up. And what happens when you play catch up using absinth? You have a little snooze as the band come on, and get brought back to life by your friend's palm cracking your cheek.

Did I fall asleep at the loudest gig of my life? Only for a few seconds. Sean was out for longer.

The other story? Same two troublemakers. Have you ever tried to drag your barely conscious friend from a mosh pit that's on the verge of kicking off? No? I have. Sean went green, and I had to run before the spit started flying and the boots were a kicking. Thankfully, after I dumped him outside of the crowd, I went back to see the band do what they do best all over again.

From that first day onwards, I've been a huge fan of the band. Although most people will recognise them for No One Knows, I suggest that anyone who only knows that song has a listen to this album. It came out before Songs for the Deaf, which houses No One Knows, and is packed with excellent tunes.

Festival favourite Feel Good Hit of the Summer kicks things off, and pretty much just lists a whole load of drugs that lead man Josh Homme obviously thinks will brighten up an August afternoon. Few people that listen to Queens' in the first place would disagree.

If you were lucky enough to know about  the band before No One Knows, then it may actually be track two, The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret that got you into them. It's heavy guitars are complimented by the afore-mentioned Mr Homme, and it's as catchy a rock song as you're likely to hear.

Leg of Lamb ramps up the rock even further, as does Auto Pilot. Infact, I'm tempted to not even mention anymore specific songs on here. The whole album is a heavy rock masterpiece.

The good news for you is, dear reader, that if you want to purchase it as this stage, you can get hold of a 10th anniversary re-release with bonus tracks and live performances. I got it to review a few months ago, and I can tell you now that it is brilliant.

If buying it isn't your thing, get on Youtube now and at least take in the best tracks. By which I do, of course, mean all of them. Go... Go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment