Monday, May 2, 2011

Apologies for the Delay - #10 Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

So, first things first, I must apologise for this being two days late.

Little was I to know that going away for the weekend would mean no Internet connection. I imagined to have it on my laptop, but, alas, not. I have realised however that I'm not exactly inundated with cries of 'where is part ten?'. It could be argued that I have failed the Challenge, however I did listen to the albums on the correct days, I just had no way of getting my thoughts to you, reader. I think we'll let it slide, yes?

I shall let this slide, just this once, as we kick back into action with one of my favourite albums of all-time, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, by the magnificent Bright Eyes.

Why, I hear you ask, do I like Bright Eyes? Truthfully, I couldn't tell you, as I'm not sure myself. Conor Oberst (the singer and driving force behind the band) has a truly unique voice. To hear it is the only way to truly understand what it is like, but it sounds almost at times like he is tapping his vocal chords while singing. I love it, yet if someone was to argue that it was really poor or annoying, I'd find it difficult to make a case for my side of things.

I first came across the album years ago thanks to the track First Day of My Life. If you have never heard this song, then please go and find it now. Search YouTube (or other video playing websites), buy it on iTunes, borrow the album from a friend, do anything, just hear this song.

Now I'm not one to openly admit things like this, but that song is one of a very select few that have the power to bring me to tears. The words are tremendous, and point towards a rare kind of love, total love if you will. It's not all happiness, as he is asking someone to allow him to return to them by reminding them of the past, but it is a beautiful love song, and one of my favourite tracks of all time.

Elsewhere on the album, Conor is joined by Emmylou Harris for a number of duets. Well, I say duets, but suppose that's false advertising in this instance. Rather than sing alternative parts, Harris' voice provides an echo of Oberst's, making the sound fuller, and rich with texture. I may sound like a MasterChef critic here, or some bellend from a Sunday supplement using terminology which I would never usually associate with myself, but I just want to get across the majesty of this album. It leaves me with goosebumps.

As you'll know, as you have been following Rachel's blog too, when music takes a memorable quality with us, we will be straying from the classic review format, and freestyling it a little bit.

I'm then glad that we had this album to review this weekend. Previously, I never had good memories attached to this actual album. It was my favourite CD for a long time during my university years, but I associate it with being the CD in my stereo which was stolen during a break in. In an attempt to forget the whole ordeal, it wasn't until about three months ago that I got around to rebuying this album, but I'm glad that I did.

Having spent the weekend sprawled on a sun lounger in the south of France with my fiancée and friends, listening to this album, having a drink and pretty much being amazed at how life turned out, I shall now forever associate it with the weekend that has just gone. Memories of Barney Johnson and his stealing my favourite CD have gone, to be replaced by thoughts of one of the most enjoyable weekends of my life.

Thank you Conor, for creating something so magnificent, and thanks to any readers that were there by the coast, I'll treasure the memories as much as I treasure this music. I cannot wait to go and see Bright Eyes at Glastonbury, they are an absolute MUST on my list, but I can't promise that the afore-mentioned tears won't make their way into my eyes during the course of the set.

Next up, The Vaccines... Back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment