Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sit Back and Wallow in the Beauty - #38 Elbow - Build a Rocket Boys!

Oh crap. It's here. The album that I've been looking forward to since I started this whole thing. My favourite album of 2011. Probably one of the best that I've ever heard. How on earth do I do it justice? My clumped together words and a complete lack of knowledge about music journalism might cause me some problems here, and you are more than likely about to read a fair few words muttering on like a lovestruck teenager. Taking that into account, I wouldn't blame you for stopping here, but please, stick with me, and we'll get through this together.

So, first things first, were my first few sentences there a little over the top? Answer? No. As the title of this piece suggests, this album is filled with such beauty that it could make an angel weep. Hmm... Perhaps that one is a going a little too far, but you get the picture. It. Is. Magnificent.


After the outrageous success of the band's previous album, The Seldom Seen Kid, the Manchester five-piece finally emerged from the shadows. Often hailed as an excellent band, they never really embraced the big time, until the Mercury Prize panel rewarded them for what was a fantastic album, and Elbow have never looked back. Touring the country in some if its biggest venues, being second on the billing at a lot of festivals this summer, this album is full of songs which will sound majestic as they float over a Saturday night Pyramid Stage crowd at this year's Glastonbury.

Opener The Birds gently builds up, but posseses a chorus so mighty that it could take over a small country. But that's the beauty of Elbow, and something that isn't a one off on this album. It's music that, when I have on in the house, I much prefer to listen to through headphones. The band produces a sound that is so, well, huge, that through headphones it almost encases you.

Once that behemoth comes Lippy Kids. This was actually a working title for the album for a while, and, according to Mr Guy Garvey himself, is about growing older, but never really wanting to. Realising that you are now part of that crowd who doesn't like gangs of 'hoodies' on the streets. It's the song that includes the album's actual title, but it showcases Mr Garvey and his gang of merry men in a more sombre mood.

Although the next song doesn't exactly crack out the rock and roll, With Love is another quite lovely song, the words could improve any day, and it has an excellent sing-a-long section which is bound to go down a storm at festivals.



Ok, as with the other albums that I've looked at so far, I've promised not to do a track-by-track breakdown, so I'll only mention a couple more, having swooned over the first three there.

Neat Little Rows brings back that huge sound that I was talking about. It's littered with catchy sections, and when the band steps it up a level for the chorus, they make such a grand sound that, on listening to it for the first time, it made the hairs on my arms stand up, and sent a shiver down me. I'm actually not exaggerating.

I'm not sure what my favourite track on here is, which, in my eyes at least, proves the quality of the album as a whole. Not one of these 12 songs dips in quality, and each compliments the next perfectly. If I was forced to choose which I liked best, I'd probably say Open Arms. It's chorus is, and I hate to use this word, epic. Click this link for the video, and go see for yourselves what I mean.

So, that was Elbow, and Build a Rocket Boys! I know that I may seem to have gone a little over the top at times there, but I can assure you I haven't. The band really are right at the top of their game right now, and I personally can not wait to be able to see them live for the first time (I once won tickets to see them, but had five hours to get from France to Newcastle if I was to do so). If they were to just play this album in full, I'd be more than happy, but when you add it anthems such as Grounds For Divorce and One Day Like This, I can't see how they will be anything other than magnificent.

If you won't be joining me at Glastonbury, my advice is try and see the band this summer. Whether it be at a festival, one of their gigs, whatever, just make sure you catch them somewhere, and somehow. I can be almost certain that I'll either be singing along at the top of my voice when they were playing, or shrivelled up in a ball in tears. Whichever it is, I honestly can't wait.

Oh, and if you haven't got this album, get yourself on a music purchasing website, or down to the shops, and buy it right now. A word of warning though, you may end up buying their entire back catalogue afterwards.




No comments:

Post a Comment